Africa – 13 April 2015

Renamo Moves Troops South & Warns Government Army to Keep 20 Km Away
Renamo is moving soldiers toward Maputo and there was a confrontation with the government army in Gaza province last week.
And after the 100th round of government-Renamo negotiations in Maputo on Monday, government chief negotiator Jose Pacheco accused Renamo of threatening to open a military headquarters in Muxungue, Sofala province. This is the area where Renamo was attacking the main north south N1 road before the cease fire.
AllAfrica.com


We Are Your Neighbours – Why Do You Treat Us Worse Than Dogs?’
Foreign nationals working and living in Isipingo and Malukazi were forced to take refuge at the Isipingo police station last week after xenophobic attacks erupted. A temporary camp was later set up at the Isipingo Beach sports ground for more than 300 misplaced foreigners. The conflict comes after King Goodwill Zwelithini allegedly ordered foreigners to leave the country. QINISO MBILI visited the camp to find out how the occupants are coping.
AllAfrica.com


Al Shabab massacres 147 Kenyan students
Masked gunmen from Al Shabab stormed a Kenyan university in Garissa as students were sleeping, hurling grenades and shooting dead at least 147 people.
Scores of others were wounded in the assault, still ongoing over 12 hours after the first grenades were used to blast open the gates of the university in the northeastern town of Garissa, near the lawless border with war-torn Somalia. Hostages believed to be only Christian, were taken.
Mail&Guardian


Kenya suspends bank accounts of suspected funders of terrorism
Kenya has frozen the bank accounts of 85 individuals and entities suspected to be financing terrorism in the country, including money transfer firms.
Kenya has suspended the licences of 13 Somali remittance companies following the massacre at a Kenyan university last week, Somalia’s central bank governor said on Wednesday, and Kenyan media have reported that dozens of bank accounts had been frozen.
Top of the list issued in an official government gazette notice was alleged al-Shebab commander Mohamed Mohamud, said to be the mastermind behind the university attack.
Mail&Guardian


 

Buhari defeats Jonathan in historic Nigeria election
Opposition candidate Muhammadu Buhari won Nigeria’s presidential poll by 2.57-million votes, in the country’s first election win by the opposition.
Challenger Muhammadu Buhari won Nigeria’s presidential election by 2.57 million votes, official results showed Wednesday, pushing Goodluck Jonathan out of power in the first democratic change of power in Africa’s most populous nation.
The victory writes a new chapter in the country’s often turbulent history after six military coups since independence in 1960 and 16 years of unbroken civilian rule by Jonathan’s party.
Mail&Guardian