The Democratic Republic of Congo will hold a presidential poll in November next year, the election commission announced Thursday, after deadly protests erupted over opposition fears that the incumbent Joseph Kabila was trying to extend his stay in power.
The vote will take place on 27 November 2016, at the same time as legislative elections, Independent National Electoral Commission official Jean-Pierra Kalamba said.
The United Nations is temporarily pulling support to the Democratic Republic of Congo’s planned military operation to drive out rebels after Kinshasa refused to sack two tainted generals leading the offensive, a UN official said on Tuesday.
Mariam Rizik crossed a grassy clearing, walking toward the clinic for her five-month prenatal appointment. Once there, her best green wax print outfit blended into the rainbow of dresses worn by the women who gathered, bellies bulging, for their checkups.
DRC rejects UN ultimatum
The Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday rejected a United Nations ultimatum for two tainted generals leading an offensive against Rwandan rebels in the country’s east to be replaced.
“For us, we would only replace someone in the [army high] command if that person had been convicted by our military courts. Yet, no such thing has happened,” government spokesperson Lambert Mende told a press conference in Kinshasa.