Democratic Republic of Congo: Rebels Kill Dozens
Dozens of people were killed last week in an eastern region, lawmakers said Monday. The attack took place near Beni in North Kivu Province, where a mainly Ugandan rebel group has been blamed for killing more than 200 civilians since October. Juma Balikwisha, a member of Parliament, said 104 bodies were discovered after the latest attack, and another lawmaker, Albert Baliesima, put the toll at 70 to 100. The Civil Society of North Kivu, a nongovernmental group, blamed rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces and National Army for the Liberation of Uganda for the massacres. The rebels were driven out of Uganda in 1995.
New York Times
Security Council condemns massacres of civilians, attacks on peacekeepers
The United Nations Security Council has condemned in the strongest terms the massacres perpetrated against civilians on 20 November near the city of Beni in North Kivu in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) as well as the ongoing attacks targeting peacekeepers.
“These attacks have increased to more than 200 the number of civilians killed since mid-October in this region,” said a statement released by the 15-member Council Tuesday evening.
Members of the Council expressed their deepest condolences to the families of the victims and also condemned attacks against peacekeepers of the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
They emphasized that any effort to undermine MONUSCO’s ability to implement its mandate “will not be tolerated and that those responsible for threats or attacks against peacekeepers must be held accountable.” Members also urged that the DRC government along with MONUSCO to “permanently reduce threats against civilians, immediately redouble efforts to provide proactive protection of civilians and neutralize armed groups still operating in eastern DRC.”
Those responsible for these attacks must be held to account, the Council stressed.
UN New Centre
Democratic Republic of Congo – Massacres near Beni in North Kivu Province
France condemns the massacres perpetrated on November 20 near the town of Beni in North Kivu Province. It also condemns the unacceptable attacks targeted against peacekeepers from the UN Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo over the last few days. The death toll resulting from the violence in the region since the middle of October exceeds 200.
At this tragic time, we extend our condolences to the victims’ families.
Given the risk of further destabilization in North Kivu, the Congolese authorities and the UN mission must do everything possible to protect the civilian populations, combat the armed groups, identify those responsible for the violence and bring them to justice.
Ebola ban on Democratic Republic of Congo visas lifted
THE federal government has lifted its ban on refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo after the World Health Organisation declared the West African nation free of Ebola. Immigration Minister Scott Morrison last month temporarily suspended processing visas from those in Ebola-affected countries. Last night he said more than 200 applications from Congo would now be processed.
“It is pleasing that the outbreak has ended in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which according to the World Health Organisation resulted in a total of 66 cases, including eight health workers,” he said.
“The government’s strict health screening requirements for other Ebola-affected countries in Africa remain in place.” He urged Australians travelling home from West African countries to alert border officials up to 21 days ahead and provide details of their travel history.
Australia has not recorded a single case of Ebola but has had a number of scares.