Swaziland – 19 June 2014

Paper Defies Court Over Sources
The Swazi Observer newspaper has refused to disclose to the Swaziland High Court its sources in a report that said the Chief Justice Michael Ramodibedi had issued warrants for the arrest of three judges in the kingdom.
The Registrar of the High Court wrote to the newspaper which is in effect owned by King Mswati III, who rules Swaziland as sub-Saharan Africa’s last absolute monarch. The letter said, ‘On May 19, 2014 you wrongfully and intentionally published a scandalous and contemptuous story to the effect that the Chief Justice of Swaziland had issued warrants against three High Court Judges.’ All Africa.com


Swaziland Braces Itself for AGOA Exit
The threat of Swaziland being suspended from a US preferential trade agreement for poor progress in meeting democratic norms is threatening the livelihoods of tens of thousands of worker in a country where unemployment is already above 40 percent. allAfrica.com


Striking workers burn E8 million sugar cane
As a result, management has since approached the Industrial Court for an order designating the appropriate place for the workers (respondent) and its members to carry out a picket in a manner that is not disruptive to the company
AT least E8 million worth of sugarcane have, so far, been burnt down at Ubombo Sugar Limited in the Lubombo region following a strike by workers, who are demanding a 14% salary increment. The Swazi Observer