This is the core of SALO’s work because it believes the SA government, ruling ANC Alliance and parliament are central to driving Southern African/African democratic and peace processes.
This initiative includes:
- Research including studies of South Africa’s relations with its neighbours
- Support to SA/SADC mediation efforts in countries like Zimbabwe and Madagascar
- Support to sub-committees of the SA Parliament in their efforts to understand and influence African crises and conflicts
- Support to ANC Alliance policy processes so as to produce more informed policy
- Public and closed policy and community dialogue to engage, influence and interpret SA foreign policy
Many of these themes cross cut the main project areas of SALO.